I am a condensed matter theorist at the University of Oklahoma. I work on a wide range of problems, all of which involve the dynamics of electrons in a regime between classical and quantum mechanics. I enjoy trying to apply old ideas in new ways (such as "electron refrigerators" or finding unexpected phenomena in novel systems (such as quantum rings).
If you are here because of a YouTube video in which I shatter a laptop, you might want to know a few things:
- The laptop was a plant with a willing student accomplice and was non-functional before freezing.
- Students in a large lecture class can be distracted by others watching movies, reading news-websites and playing games on their laptops.
- I had warned students many times about not using their laptops during lecture.
- I am perfectly happy with students actually taking notes on their laptops in class.
- The demonstration did have the desired effect of improving student attention.