|Education:||B.S. 1997 State University of Campinas|
|Ph.D. 2004 State University of Campinas|
|Office:||223 Nielsen Hall|
|Phone:||405-325-3961, ext. 223|
|Research Home Page|
My primary research interests are low dimensional quantum critical systems. This is the case of superconductors with nodal gaps, such as cuprates, and also of a broad class of materials with Dirac-like electronic excitations, known as Dirac materials.
The most popular examples of Dirac systems in Condensed Matter today are graphene and topological insulators and superconductors. Graphene, one of my current topics of research, is a new allotropic form of carbon formed by a single atomic layer of graphite. As a Dirac material, its elementary excitations behave as massless Dirac fermions and mimic properties known in quantum electrodynamics. The quantum numbers which appear from its electronic structure offer a rich playground for the emergence of new quantum phenomena at room temperature.
My current interests range from strongly correlated phases in low dimensional systems, such as superconductivity and quantum magnetism, to problems involving disorder, localization, strain fields, phonons and electron-electron interactions in perturbative and non-perturbative regimes. I am also interested in mesoscopic systems in general, which offer an interesting window for the observation of new quantum phenomena.
- V. N. Kotov, B. Uchoa, V. M. Pereira, F. Guinea, and A. H. Castro Neto, "Electron-electron interactions in graphene: Current status and perspectives," Rev. Mod. Phys. 84, 1067 (2012).
- T. Dirks, T. L. Hugues, S. Lal, B. Uchoa, Y.-F. Chen, C. Chialvo, P. M. Goldbart, N. Mason, "Transport through Andreev bound states in a graphene quantum dot," Nature Physics 7, 386 (2011).
- B. Uchoa, T. G. Rappoport, A. H. Castro Neto, "Kondo quantum criticality of magnetic adatoms in graphene," Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 016801 (2011).
- J. P. Reed, B. Uchoa, Y. il Joe, D. Case, T Gog, E Fradkin, P. Abbamonte, "The effective fine structure of free standing graphene measured in graphite," Science 330, 805 (2010).
- B. Uchoa, C. Ling, S.-W Tsai, N. M. R. Peres, A. H. Castro Neto, "Theory of scanning tunneling spectroscopy for magnetic adatoms in graphene," Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 206804 (2009).
- B. Uchoa., V. N. Kotov, N. M. R. Peres, A. H. Castro Neto, "Localized magnetic states in graphene," Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 026805 (2008).
- B. Uchoa, A. H. Castro Neto, "Superconducting states of pure and doped graphene," Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 146801 (2007).