|Title:||David Ross Boyd Professor|
|Awards:||Carlisle Mabrey and Lurine Mabrey Presidential Professorrship|
|Regents' Award for Superior Teaching|
|Education:||B.S. 1981 Biola University|
|Ph.D. 1988 University of California, Los Angeles|
|Office:||343 Nielsen Hall|
|Phone:||405-325-3961, ext. 36343|
|Research Home Page|
My research is in Experimental Particle Physics. I am currently studying data from both the DØ detector using the Tevatron collider at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory near Chicago and the ATLAS detector using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland. Both these machines are excellent instruments for testing the predictions of the Standard Model of elementary particles and fields and to look for experimental deviations from those predictions.
At the Tevatron my recent research has focused on testing various properties of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), particularly the distribution of gluons within the proton.
The LHC is now the highest energy particle collider in the world and has the potential of discovering new phenomena which may extend or supersede the Standard Model. Studies indicate that answers to fundamental questions about the nature of mass, the asymmetry between matter and antimatter, and even the particles that make up the dark matter in the universe may be discovered in the near future at the LHC. Within the next few years, I will focus my research exclusively on data from the ATLAS detector.
With the end of the Tevatron run and the excellent performance of the LHC, the future potential for the discovery and observation of new and interesting phenomena in the field of elementar particles and fields looks extremely promising. It is an exciting time to be doing experimental physics in this field.
- V.M. Abazov, M. Strauss, et al. (DØ Collaboration) "Measurement of the Dijet Invariant Mass Cross Section in p-p̅ Collisions at √s =1.96 TeV," Phys. Lett. B 693, 531 (2010).
- V.M. Abazov, M. Strauss, et al. (DØ Collaboration) "Measurement of the Inclusive Jet Cross Section in p-p̅ Collisions √s =1.96 TeV," Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 062001 (2008).
- V.M. Abazov, M. Strauss, et al. (DØ Collaboration) "Evidence for production of single top quarks and first direct measurements of |Vtb|," Physical Review Letters 98, 181902 (2007).
- V.M. Abazov, M. Strauss, et al. (DØ Collaboration) "Ratio of Isolated Photon Cross Sections in p-p̅ Collisions at √s =630 and 1800 GeV," Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 251805 (2001).
- B. Abbott, M. Strauss, et al. (DØ Collaboration) "Direct Measurement of the Top Quark Mass at DØ," Physical Review D 58, 52001 (1998).